Pages



3.20.2015

A Balanced Approach to Engaging Entertainment

Photo Credit Laura Lee Moreau and Unsplash

How DO you take a balanced approach to engaging entertainment in a media-saturated culture? I'm asking because I don't know. I'm trying to figure it out probably like many of you. We live in a time when entertainment is always at our fingertips and in most parts of the world, media in all kinds of formats sends messages that inform and impact individuals, families, communities, and to some degree whole societies. 

Over time I have come to the realization that things that used to bother me just don't anymore. I think a lot of this can be chalked up to a growing awareness and sobriety about the reality of the world we live in, but I have felt some conviction in recent years about the fact that some of the harmful and damaging messages that have been normalized by society, I have willingly embraced.

Particularly when it comes to movies I really wrestle with what kinds of content I should subject myself to for the sake of a great story or amazing acting or even just curiosity because a movie is so popular. 

Since being married, JD and I have tried to be more intentional about our choices when it comes to entertainment. For Christians, opinions vary when it comes to secular entertainment. I have landed on both extremes at one point or another, but I'm striving for a more balanced understanding of how to engage media and entertainment, because I really love good storytelling and really believe that stories that resonate with people impact them too, even in ways they don't realize. 

I'm definitely not arguing that any approach is the best or perfect when it comes to making these kinds of choices, though some content is clearly damaging and I would not endorse it at all, no mater how much critical acclaim it has received. By providing some food for thought and actual resources, my hope is that you would consider making more intentional choices about what you watch, read, and listen to. 

There are a few different resources I have historically used to make informed decisions about entertainment. One site is, in my opinion, really extreme on one side of the issue. One of the sites is simply an objective telling of what kind of content you can find in a movie, and the last site, which I've really been enjoying lately, is a resource that is operating from the conviction that "entertainment is not mindless" and we can engage stories portrayed in film in a way that is beneficial and in some cases might even help us understand God and people on a deeper level. 

Focus on the Family's Plugged In

I've been reading reviews on this site since late middle school and early high school. The Plugged In ministry is an extension of Focus on the Family, a non-profit organization that has been around since the 70's. The ministry has benefitted Christian families by providing resources and giving advice and the founder, Dr. James Dobson, is a well-known psychologist who has had significant influence in Christian circles over the years.

After reading hundreds of their entertainment reviews over the past decade or so I can say that while some of the guidance and advice is helpful and relevant, much of it is so conservative that it feels a bit like you're getting a finger wagged at you if you are considering consuming any secular content at all.

At this point in my life, I personally don't agree with this approach or mindset, and so I try to take most of what I read on their site with a grain of salt, though there are some helpful parameters and warnings. 

IMDB Parental Guide

If I'm trying to decide if we should watch a movie or not I will usually go here just to find out exactly what to expect. The MPAA rating system is wholly confusing and unreliable in my opinion. Just because something is given a particular rating doesn't mean that we can always base our decision on that.

This feature of the site and app gives detailed explanations of what kind of content is in the movie. Here I'm linking to a movie that we watched recently, Whiplash. It's just nice to know what all a movie entails before dedicating two hours of your Friday night to it. If you are really against being clued in to any story details or running the risk of having anything spoiled you probably won't want to go this route because the summary has a lot of detail.

Reel World Theology

I first came across this site a few months ago when I was looking for some new podcasts and since then I have been visiting their site almost weekly for podcasts, articles, and other great resources. This site has reviews on old and new movies, tips on the best new movies and shows to keep an eye out for, and weekly podcasts discussing some of the latest popular movies. The contributors have varied and balanced views and I thoroughly enjoy their podcasts that feature new guests each week who give different perspectives on a variety of themes in movies. 

While their approach to film is largely Christian, they readily explore difficult topics and have honest discussions about them. Sometimes their opinions differ, but there is a common thread that ties all of their discussions together which is that art is a reflection of who we are as created beings and that storytelling is a great way to reflect back to the the Creator. If your looking for a fun new podcast for your commute check them out! Make sure you watch the movie first though because their podcasts go so in depth that it's impossible not to spoil the story.

A few more resources...

Rotten Tomatoes

Some of you may only watch TV or movies every once in a blue moon because your schedule is so packed and your life is so hectic you'd rather spend your time doing other things. Well, if you do have time to squeeze in a movie every now and again check out this site to scan some helpful critic and user ratings and figure out whether a movie is worth your time. If you're not too entrenched in the world of pop culture or don't have friends' recommendations to rely on, check out this easy-to-navigate site for some help.  

The Gospel Coalition Movie Reviews

This site is, in my opinion, one of the best resources out there for Christians. The articles, podcasts, and other resources are solid, honest and relevant. From time to time a contributor will write about a movie or about pop culture trends that can be helpful. Here I am linking to an insightful article about specifically Christian media and entertainment that often times misses the mark.


How do you make decisions for yourself and your family about how to engage entertainment?

No comments :

Post a Comment