Pages



2.17.2015

A Resolve Against Resolutions

So.... it's the end of February. And instead of strong-arming myself into keeping all of my New Year's resolutions, I am enjoying some cookie dough and skipping the gym for the second day in a row. I am all about setting and reaching goals, making healthier life choices, and I love all of the new opportunities waiting to be explored at the start of a new year, but January is always so heavy with expectations that I usually feel completely weary by the time Groundhog Day rolls around.

So far 2015 has been pretty eventful. While finishing up a project for a great company called Booktrope, I have also been looking for a new full time job, building a website, and training a puppy. I also negotiated my freelance rate for the first time, have simultaneously binge watched Gilmore Girls and Parenthood and started getting into Yoga for the first time ever. 

With all of the uncertainty with my schedule and crazy curve ball that is my life lately, I decided not to make any resolutions this year, and instead take what comes and handle it with as much grace as possible. It's been kind of refreshing to skip the calorie counting and impossible diet regimen this year. My approach to tackle the new year and new challenges has evolved into reminding myself what my priorities are and then making decisions based on those priorities, which are as follows...

1. Nurturing my relationship with God
2. Loving and serving my husband
3. Helping and spending time with family and friends
4. Being a good steward of the gifts I've been given including health, home, and relationships
5. Enjoying life and not freaking out when things don't go as planned

I took this picture when we visited Pike's Peak in Colorado Springs last year. Every time I look at it I breathe a deep sigh of relief because there wasn't much filling my mind when I looked out at this beautiful landscape. Sometimes I think we need to simplify instead of making more rules and restrictions for ourselves (this coming from a girl who loves structure!) There's already enough pressures in life to deal with without adding unrealistic and unreasonable resolutions on top of it. 




What are your thoughts on New Years resolutions? Hurtful or helpful?

No comments :

Post a Comment