Pages



6.02.2017

My favorite stories this week: Basically the ladies are killing it

The media plays a big role in shaping the narratives in our culture. Instead of doing a deep dive of a specific film, I thought it'd be fun to look at some of those narratives by pulling together a roundup of some of the most interesting news and content I've seen lately. Here are my favorite stories floating around the web this last week...




Sofia Coppola becomes second woman ever to win best director at Cannes

Sofia Coppola hasn't always had a warm reception at Cannes, but this year she killed it (as did her characters in The Beguiled as far as I can tell from the trailer). In its 70 year history, it's disappointing that this is only the second woman to ever win, but it's something to celebrate nonetheless!

One of my favorite TV critics discusses the "asshole" archetype and when it does and doesn't work

I really appreciate Todd VanDerWerff's thoughtful discussion of television shows and his witty writing style. You can sign up for his weekly newsletters here





Wonder Woman is the best reviewed DC movie since The Dark Night!


I'll be honest, I had already categorized this movie in my head as another boring, predictable genre film, but the reception has been super positive despite some of the controversy of all-women showings and a ban in Lebanon. I may need to get my butt to the theater this weekend to watch Wonder Woman kick some.

The trailer that is literally making me bite my nails in anticipation 

On my list of most anticipated movie this year, Murder on the Orient Express has literally skyrocketed to the top after this trailer.



Okja stuns at Cannes

A film with a socially conscious message, Tilda Swinton with braces, and a giant pig-like sidekick is something worth paying attention to.


If you came across something interesting fun in the last week, share it below!

No comments :

Post a Comment