Pages



3.23.2017

11 Movies I'm Excited for in 2017

We are almost a fourth of the way through 2017 and it already seems like it's a great year for film. Believe it or not many of the annual film festivals have come and gone and critics have been celebrating this year's line up from old favorites like Edgar Wright who debuted his action flick, Baby Driver at SXSW this year, to feature newcomers like Geremy Jasper who wrote and directed the highly praised Patti Cake$.

Some projects from directors and casts are still untitled and not much has been released about them, but I do have a growing list of films I am really excited to see and review this year. I'm sure it will be ever-evolving, but here's what I've got so far in no particular order...

1. The Big Sick

Michael Showalter wrote and directed the well-received albeit underrated Hello, My Name is Doris last year and debuted his new romantic comedy/drama at Sundance where it was picked up by Amazon Studios. The film is inspired by Michael Showalter's own marriage and highlights the complexities of interracial relationships and cultural differences. His wife co-wrote the script with him. The film seems real and raw and charming and I'm excited to see it. It will hit theaters in July. 

2. Baby Driver (mentioned above)

I might be partial to this one because I have been binging Mad Men and am constantly marveling at Jon Hamm's performance, but it seems there's more to this movie than its star studded cast. A car chase action/thriller with the brilliant mind of Edgar Wright behind it, and a soundtrack that's sure to make you want to jump out of your seat in the theater and dance? Yes please. It comes out in wide release in August.




3. Molly's Game

After more than two decades of writing classic stories like A Few Good Men and The American President, Aaron Sorkin is making his directorial debut with this drama starring Jessica Chastain, Idris Elba, and Kevin Costner. I'm really rooting for Aaron's success behind the camera! The release date is still TBD.  

4. Dunkirk

After a bit of a lull from Christopher Nolan, I'm looking forward to seeing what fresh approach he can bring to the war film genre. Also, with a cast like Tom HardyKenneth Branagh, and Mark Rylance, I feel like it's a win all around even though some critics are not sure he can pull off the weightiness of a WWII epic with a PG-13 rating. You can see Dunkirk in theaters in July.

5. Wind River

Taylor Sheridan got his start as an actor on shows like Sons of Anarchy and Veronica Mars, but he's made a pretty smooth transition to writing and directing. First with the critically acclaimed Sicario, and then hitting it big with Oscar nominated Hell or High Water. Wind River stars Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olson. It got a lot of attention at Sundance this year. You should see it in theaters in August.

6. The Shape of Water

Even though I can't stomach all of Guillermo del Toro's films, I have a lot of respect for him as an artist. There's not a lot of info about it yet, but The Shape of Water is going to star Octavia Spencer and one of my personal favorites, Michael Shannon. It's set in the Cold War era and falls in the Fantasy genre. I'm definitely intrigued. It should come out some time in November.



7. Murder on the Orient Express

I think a classic story like this in the hands of Kenneth Branagh is sure to delight. The cast is equally amazing with names like Johnny DeppPenelope Cruz, and Josh Gad. I just wish I didn't have to wait until November to see it.  

8. Darkest Hour

Joe Wright has given us great British classics like Atonement and Pride and Prejudice, so I am hoping this biopic starring Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill gives us some awards season fodder. The film is set to release in November. 

9. Coco

After releasing two films back to back that I was fairly underwhelmed by (The Good Dinosaur and Finding Dory) I'm really hopeful Pixar's new film about Dia De Los Muertos is going to shoot to the top of my list of animated favorites. The subject matter hits close to home for me being hispanic, and the teaser trailer had me feeling all the feels, so I will definitely be first in line for the November opening. 



10. The Current War

A face off between Michael Shannon and Benedict Cumberbatch in the context of a period piece can't be beat in my opinion, but we will see if this film is more show than substance. This film should be released around Christmas time.

11. The Hero

The Hero stars legends Sam ElliotKatharine Johnson, and funny guy Nick Offerman. It was well-received at Sundance this year. 

There are a few more films that I am expecting good things from, but I don't know much about. There's another Cloverfield movie rumored to debut this year with David Oweloyo and Chris O' Dowd (whom I'm a big fan of). There's also a curious Matt Damon /Kristen Wiig collaboration called Downsizing. Darren Aronofsky, Javier Bardem, and Jennifer Lawrence are teaming up for Mother! and Kathryn Bigelow has an untitled project in the works.

The mysterious Sci-Fi/Thriller, Annihilation will star Natalie Portman, Oscar Isaac and one of my favorite TV actors, Gina RodriguezAll in all I'm excited to see how these projects unfold and define the entertainment landscape for movie goers this year! 

No comments :

Post a Comment