Pages



4.24.2015

How To Survive Seattle Weather


It's the end of April and while it would normally be about this time of year that I'd be researching flights to escape to some place sunny and flipping through Instagram looking longingly at beach pics, desperately missing the sun, this year has been relatively mild. We have had very few rainy days and the temperature has been surprisingly warm. I think I've seen the sun more this winter/spring than any other since I've lived in Seattle (going on 6 years).

Even so, adjusting to the rainy, grey weather in Seattle has been one the biggest challenges for me living in the Northwest. Besides being far from family, Seattle weather is my primary complaint about living here. Because I'm such a baby about the weather I've still been using some tactics to stay sane without the sun this year.

I'm going to share some of my tips for surviving rainy Seattle. Not everyone hates the drizzly, grey, depression-fest like I do, so for some of my PNW friends you might not be too concerned with this list, but for those of you who are recent transplants and didn't realize how depressing it is not to see the sun for 6 months out of the year, or you're a local and still can't stand the dreariness (like my husband) these tips are for you!

1. Hibernate

Once the excitement of the holidays winds down in mid to late January I pretty much have to get into the mindset that I'm not going to have as much energy as I do during warmer months of the year. The holidays usually push me through November, December, and most of January, but at that point we are only half way through the rainy months.  

Instead of fighting the slump, try embracing it. The days get darker earlier and your body has been functioning on significantly less Vitamin D for a few months, so maybe take on a new indoor hobby or start a new TV series on Netflix and just pull back a little bit.

When I say hibernate, I don't mean isolate. Isolation is never a good thing, but scaling back and not putting the same expectations on yourself in terms of what you can commit to is not the worst thing in the world. I've had to come to terms with it and I feel a lot less stressed because of it.

2. Stay Active

I'll be honest, putting on workout clothes and stepping out into the cold, dark, rainy weather to hit the gym is one of my least favorite things to do. It's tempting to give up on working out entirely, but trust me it's better to push through!

Staying active has a significant impact on your overall mood and health when the weather has you feeling down. Even if it's just a walk a day or finding some easy strength training exercises to do at home, it really does feel great to stay moving even when you're brain is telling you to go back to bed. 

One idea to stay motivated is to buy yourself a new workout outfit that will keep you warm. For the longest time I hated working out in the winter because I was a Texas girl and had only ever worked out in shorts! Buying some warmer workout pants and a new jacket helped me to get more excited about exercising. 

3. Take Vitamin D

I don't know why it took me so long, but I just started doing this this year. Most doctors will tell you that it's really tough to get the recommended amount of Vitamin D from your diet alone, and so it's not a bad idea to look into supplements.

Ask your doctor how many milligrams you should be taking. It's not hard to find some great over the counter options.

4. Drink Coffee (or some other energy-boosting substance)

The Northwest is a hub for great coffee and it's not uncommon to find coffee shops packed with people on the weekends enjoying their beverage of choice with a good book in hand. Coffee has a lot of benefits, but my personal favorite is the caffeine. I find that I actually drink less coffee during the summer because I don't need the extra boost, but in the winter months you'd be hard pressed not to find me sipping my daily morning cup of coffee. Not only is there something cozy about my morning ritual with my journal and coffee in hand, but it really does help jump start my day.

Not everyone likes coffee, but there are other great options if you want to get a little pep in your step. There are a variety of teas that have a bit of caffeine. Or if you want to steer clear of caffeine altogether, there are other things you can eat, like apples, that will give you a boost in the mornings or during that mid-afternoon slump. Maybe not to the same degree, but it's still helpful.

5. Plan a Vacation

This is my favorite option of all. While it doesn't happen every year because of finances or other factors, we try to plan a vacation around this time of year as often as we can. It helps to get away from the grey and go some place sunny. Especially for those particularly long, cold winters.

Even just a weekend getaway to California or in our case, Texas, does the soul, and skin, good. Just be prepared to be the whitest people out there when you hit the beach. Maybe even schedule a spray tan before leaving so as not to shock anyone with your pale body when you don a swimsuit. 

There are a lot of amazing things about living in the Northwest, but unfortunately the winter weather doesn't make that list for me. But as I've learned, you can be proactive about your Seattle winter experience and make some preparations so that you don't get stuck in a grey funk for 6 months. 


What are some of your tips for surviving Seattle winters?

No comments :

Post a Comment