Pages



4.06.2015

3 Thoughts on Traveling


I love to travel. I've also done quite a bit of it. I've traveled to 10+ states in Mexico, 10+ states in the United States, 3 different cities in Germany, 3 different cities in Canada, Puerto Rico, and a recent excursion to Chicago (a post on that is coming soon!) but that only scratches the surface of where I'd like to go. If you've traveled a lot like me, you know that there's an art and a science to it. For some, careful planning and preparation is the only way that makes sense when it comes to taking a trip. For others, part of the fun of travel is the spontaneity. 

I've learned that it's a good idea to try to strike some sort of balance between creating a detailed itinerary and flying by the seat of your pants, so for the last couple of trips I've taken I've tried to create "flexible itineraries," so that I can have something to fall back on, but also have the flexibility to change things at a moment's notice. 

When I was traveling home from Chicago last week I was reflecting on some of the things I've learned about being a successful traveler. Here are a few of my thoughts (these tips are focusing on traveling for pleasure and not so much business-related travel.) 

1. Traveling Well Takes Practice

How much money should I plan to spend? What am I allowed to take on an airplane? How much time should I give myself to get the airport? How much gas will I use each day I'm on the road? 

These are all questions that are answered over time and through experience. Once you've taken several trips and know the drill, you can know what to expect and how to plan. With each new traveling experience you are becoming a more refined traveler. 

2. Don't be Afraid to be "That" Tourist 

When I travel somewhere new I often feel frustrated with myself that I can't navigate the area like a pro and I hate feeling like I don't know what I'm doing or where I'm going. I'm sure that's partly because I have become a total snob in my own city and get so irritated with tourists that slow me down. Definitely not my best moments. When you become a resident, especially in a big city, it's hard not to expect everyone to keep up with the pace that busy city life can set.

It's totally acceptable and to some degree expected that you'd walk around a bit wide-eyed in a new environment. In fact, in order to take in all of the new sights, sounds, and smells of a new place it's better to take it slow. Obviously it's important to keep your brain in and not act like an idiot and put yourself in danger. But embrace the ambiguity a little bit. Be ok with getting lost every once in a while. 

3. Take Everything in Stride

Not everything you plan is going to work out. You are going to show up to a restaurant that's closed for a private event, or get stuck in traffic because of a marathon, or forget your ID at home and miss your flight. These things just happen and getting upset and flustered won't change that. Part of my new "flexible itinerary" approach to travel allows room for error because I'm a human and I do dumb things. And you will too.

Lately I've been realizing that seeming disasters and unexpected obstacles can spark creativity and allow you to learn lessons you wouldn't otherwise. Whenever something goes wrong when I travel I try to take deep breaths and quickly consider, "what is the worse that can happen in this situation?" And usually when I really think about it, there are solutions for even the worst case scenario. And beyond that I just pray and trust that God is taking care of me.


What travel tips would you add to this list?

No comments :

Post a Comment