Pages



3.31.2018

14 classic films and the problem with a short attention span...

Last year year I set out to watch 16 iconic films so that I could learn more about the art and science of storytelling through film. It was ambitious considering my life was already busy, but then I got laid off from my job and my schedule freed up. The losing the job part sucked, but the extra free time really helped me get through that list! 

Alas, I was still only able to watch 14 on my list, (remind me to never try to blow through 16 movies and keep up with awards season at the same time ever again) but I did learn a lot and had a ton of fun doing it. The award show season just wrapped up a few weeks ago, so in honor of Oscar nominated films of the past, here are some recent classics I've watched along with my impressions and a few observations about old films in general:

Jaws - What ever happened to the art of suspense?

Awards: Best Film Editing, Best Music (Dramatic Score), Best Sound

If there's any genre that "shows its age" horror is definitely at the top of the list. The outdated special effects combined with over the top acting and clichés like half-naked women wandering into barns at night with machetes hanging on the wall while a deranged man is on the lose, all point towards old horror fare. The genre has mostly evolved.

All that to say, Jaws is one of the expertly executed horror films from yesteryear about a great white shark on the prowl in a small beach town. The film is a master class in suspense. Spielberg is able to build tension without showing much of anything. Budget constraints forced Spielberg to show victims being attacked with most of the action happening underwater with pulleys and wires yanking the actors around to simulate attacks. Necessity is the mother of invention as they say.



All About Eve - Melodrama can be a good thing.

Awards: Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Best Director, Best Writing (Screenplay), Best Costume Design (Black and White), Best Sound, Best Picture

In of her most iconic roles, Bette Davis plays an aging actress who is trying to stay relevant in this classic story about jealousy and revenge. When Jones is upstaged by an unassuming girl (played by Anne Baxter) who is an aspiring and cunning actress herself, things get shall we say, melodramatic. Clearly the melodrama worked in this film's favor with 6 Oscars under it's belt including best picture.


2001: A Space Odyssey - Why are classic films so long?


Awards: Best Effects, Special Visual Effects

Maybe it had to do with the sparse dialogue or confusing plot, but I had a hard time sitting through this film. I know that it was unprecedented for its time and I did appreciate the beautiful cinematography, but I can't help but think that in an age where people's attention spans are alarmingly short, we won't be seeing many of these types of films anymore. 




Alien Trilogy - Outdated special effects can be redeemed by great storytelling.


Awards: Best Effects, Visual Effects (Alien), Best Effects, Sound Effects Editing (Aliens), Best Effects, Visual Effects (Aliens) 

When you watch the first Alien film it's hard not to chuckle at the outdated special effects and awkward actions sequences, but when you put it in context of the time it was released, it was in fact a groundbreaking film for the technology that was available. When compared to the souped up action-packed movies of today, this film falls fall short, but somehow it still holds up. 

These films aren't only classics because of the innovation for their time, the writing has made it a story that can resonate with any generation. Not to mention the fact that Ridley Scott and James Cameron created a badass female protagonist (which wasn't common in that era).


Seven Samurai - Painters turned directors are a really good thing


Awards: None (which is a tragedy, really)

Legendary Akira Kurosawa was a professional artist turned filmmaker. His artistic touch is all over this beautiful film. Each shot is carefully crafted to compliment the story in a way that I've very rarely experienced. It's a shame this film didn't win any awards when it debuted in 1954.


Casablanca - Where's the political romance we've been waiting for?

Casablanca is a beautiful love story to be sure, but the fact that it is framed by such important political themes makes it all the more poignant. I love this movie and it's not hard to see why generations before me and after me will continue to love it. I wrote about the film last year and learned some fun facts about what was going on at the time historically. Revisit this film over and over again, you won't be disappointed.

Awards: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Writing (Screenplay)






Lawrence of Arabia - Sweeping epics seem like a thing of the past


Awards: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography (color), Best Art Direction - Set Decoration (color), Best Sound, Best Film Editing, Best Music (score)

People's time wasn't nearly as divided when this movie was released. Now a days it's a struggle to sit through 3 hour movie with our busy lives calling to us. Going to the movies used to be a communal experience, but now you can stream most anything at home. It feels as if something has been lost, but if I'm honest I could've done without SO much wandering in the dessert in this film.


The Godfather - No one does it like Marlon Brando 



That's pretty much the most important thing you need to know about this movie. Marlon Brando is a legend. That's all.

Awards: Best Picture, Best Actor in a Leading Role, Best Writing (Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium)



Citizen Kane - Is it possible years of hype can inflate a film to earn the title "best of all time"?



Don't get me wrong. This film is impressive. I really enjoyed following the well-crafted narrative of the life and eventual demise of a publishing tycoon. Orson Wells has contributed a lot to the world of film. But the best film of all time? I'm just not convinced. 

Awards: Best Writing (Original Screenplay)





Psycho - Old movies can definitely give you nightmares.



Awards: None

I was expecting to watch Psycho and walk away unaffected by the outdated effects and the fact that it's black in white. "How scary can it be?" I thought. Well, I was sorely mistaken and 3 sleepless nights of me trying to get the image of Anthony Perkins' disturbing, smug face out of my head is proof. 

I can't not recommend this film. It's twisted and brilliant and Hitchcock really is a master of psychological horror.


12 Angry Men - Turns out society hasn't changed all that much 



Awards: None

I was simultaneously inspired and discouraged when I watched this film. It's amazing that during the entire hour and thirty six minutes of 12 men sitting in a room talking was so enrapturing, but as the 12 jurors debated the innocence of a young Puerto Rican man, I was reminded that over sixty years later, we're still faced with so many of the same societal problems that we did back then.

This film is excellent and I'm sad that it didn't win any awards.


Did I miss any "must see" classic films? Add to my list in the comments below!

No comments :

Post a Comment