Pages



11.06.2017

AFF recap and screenwriting update

The Austin Film Festival has come and gone and while I would've liked to come away with insightful reviews of dozens of films and all kinds of industry knowledge and great contacts, I honestly just walked away knowing one thing for sure: I love films and am mesmerized by the artistic process of creating them. Even if I never get to see anything I create or co-create make it to the screen, I'm going to do everything I possibly can to share my voice and be a part of that world.

There were some unforeseen circumstances that only allowed me to see about half of the films I had planned on. Everything from a family emergency to a cancelled showing, but I still got to sit in that fancy theater in downtown Austin, watch brilliant films, and listen to one of the creators talk about her passion and process. That one night made it all worth it!

I did get a chance to write a review for Lady Bird, which was published by Reel World Theology late last week. Greta Gerwig's directorial debut has received rave reviews from critics and fans and landed at the top of my favorite films this year. The Q&A with Gerwig after the film was brief, but my favorite part of the festival by far. While I didn't meet any other screenwriters, I did get to connect with someone else who loves film and we went to a couple of showings together. It was a blast.

Here are my main takeaways from the experience:


Film festival viewings are different from any other


The people who spend the time and money to attend a film festival all have a common goal, which is to celebrate the films and filmmakers at the festival. This creates a movie-watching experience unlike any other. The atmosphere is electric. The audience is invested, and especially on the premier night, the mood is lively.


Hearing from a film's creator brings a whole new perspective and appreciation


It's one thing to watch a film, try to interpret what the filmmaker must have wanted to convey, and walk away without any additional information about what went into creating the film. It's another thing entirely to hear from the creator - to find out what the heart and soul is behind the project. It inspires a kind of appreciation that wouldn't exist otherwise.


Springing for the badge is totally worth it


Even though it's twice as expensive, spending the extra money to have access to all of the panels and interviews is totally worth it. I only attended one Q&A and I was totally jazzed and inspired. As an aspiring screenwriter, I can only imagine how insightful it would have been to hear from more filmmakers. Which reminds me...

I haven't shared a screenwriting update for a while...

As mentioned, I have been going through Screencraft's "Write Your Screenplay in 60 Days" program. My screenplay wasn't completed in 60 days, but it has been a helpful framework. I AM IN THE FINAL PAGES THOUGH! It's been a fun and at times difficult process writing this story, but when I start to lose motivation I try give myself a little pep talk and keep these four things in mind (from the Screencraft blog): 

● I've built some great habits. I'm a writer. This is a real achievement and these new habits will help me get to the end of this process.

● My story deserves to be told. I've created all these interesting characters, an exciting, premise, and carefully crafted details. I've done the heavy lifting, now it’s about letting it come to life.

● Indulge in the idea of this movie getting produced. Not all screenplays will, in fact most won’t, but not many writers are going through the process that I am. A script can never be produced if it isn’t written, so I should give my project that chance!

● Have fun! I'm bringing a story to life. I'm bringing a whole new world into reality. That’s an amazing experience. Enjoy it!




That's all for now. Once finishing the script (hopefully this week) I will edit and refine through the next 6 weeks at which point I will officially have written my first screenplay! We will see what's in store after that...

No comments :

Post a Comment