Pages



8.14.2017

7 great podcasts about film

I got into podcasts a little late in the game. I didn't start listening to them until a few years ago when I discovered NPR's Invisibilia, a really cool podcast that explores the invisible forces that impact human behavior like emotions, perceptions, beliefs, etc. It's really fascinating and you should give it a listen.

Obviously I love film, so once my eyes were opened to the world of podcasts I started searching and listening to every podcast I could find on the subject. I think I've nailed down a pretty good list. And I listen to these particular shows on the regular. It's a great way to learn about films and filmmaking, and hear other people's discussions about them.

Here's my recommended list of podcasts about film:

1. The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith

This podcast explores the "art and business of storytelling." Jeff has access to people who are pretty high up in Hollywood. He interviews writers, directors, and actors at the Los Angeles Film School to ask questions about how their films have been brought to the screen. It's a really cool "behind the scenes" interview-style show.

2. The Treatment

The Treatment is hosted by Elvis Mitchell and is a radio show as well as a podcast. He also interviews high-profile creatives in Hollywood, but it's much more condensed since it's formatted for radio. Elvis' discussions with his guests are usually a bit more intellectual, but definitely engaging and accessible. He seems to know everyone who ever did anything important in the world of film.



3. Reel World Theology

This was one of the first shows I ever started listening to. I really enjoy the thoughtful discussions on this Christian podcast. They explore important thematic elements in popular films and the host, Mikey, does a great job bringing in a variety of different guests with different perspectives and ideas.

They also have a website that covers film, TV, and a variety of features - all written and managed by a group of people who are obviously passionate about storytelling.

4. Maltin on Movies

Leonard Maltin is a legend in the world of film criticism. He knows virtually everyone in Hollywood and has been working in the entertainment industry for several decades. On this podcast he and his daughter, Jesse, invite actors, writers, directors, and all types in the industry to discuss their latest projects.



The interviews are clearly aimed at cinephiles as they discuss the challenges and joys of the industry and frequently recommend artists and films that would typically fly under the average person's radar. It's a fun dynamic between Leonard and his daughter and the whole thing feels like a family affair.

5. I Think You're Interesting

Todd VanDerWerff is one of my favorite current critics and while he mostly covers television, he will often bring on guests who have impacted the film & TV world in some significant way. He will host anyone from documentarians to authors. The questions he asks in his interviews often draw out some of the most fascinating facts and tidbits, and I always enjoy the discussions he has with his guests.

6. Kermode and Mayo's Film Review

This BBC podcast is one of my more recent finds and it basically consists of two British gentleman discussing films and cracking jokes for an hour. I'll be honest, I usually fast forward to the interviews with the actors, (and sometimes directors) because the reviews can drag on for a little longer than I'd like and a lot of the show consists of reading fan mail from people who are writing in and giving their opinions on different films, which I'm not as interested in. But all in all there's some good content there!



7. Fresh Air

In general, Fresh Air is a great podcast that covers political issues, pop culture, and more. Hosted by legendary interviewer, Terry Gross, the show is expertly edited and formatted. Terry will occasionally host actors, writers, and directors on her show and she does a deep dive into her guests' lives, backgrounds, etc. There's a lot of great interviews archived on this one. Definitely worth a listen!


What are your favorite podcasts? Any film podcasts I'm missing out on?

No comments :

Post a Comment