Pages



7.16.2017

My Movie Pick this Week: My Neighbor Totoro

I'll admit I am not the biggest fan of anime. My husband on the other hand is a super fan, so when I suggested we go see My Neighbor Totoro during the Studio Ghibli fest that is rolling out over the next few months, he enthusiastically agreed. Despite my general disinterest in anime, I've always taken notice of the films from Studio Ghibli. Not only do they consistently receive rave reviews from critics, but they're among the top 15 highest grossing anime films of all time, have received five Academy Award nominations, and the movie, Spirited Away was recently named the second best film of the 21st century by the New York Times. They also have an international distribution agreement with Disney. 

I've always felt anime is fraught with jerky editing and melodramatic characters, but if there's one thing I can say about anime creators in general and Studio Ghibli in particular, it's that they are master storytellers. I can at least acknowledge and appreciate the art form for that reason. Your Name actually crawled onto my list of top films this year because it was such a creative story and the visuals were stunning - some of the most breathtaking I've seen of any animated film. Your Name is the highest grossing anime film of all time and I can see why.


Which brings me to my movie of the week...I was pleasantly surprised by My Neighbor Totoro. It tells the story of two young girls who have just moved to the countryside with their father. Their mother's illness has kept her in the hospital, causing their dad to have to care for them on his own, which is no easy task given that both girls are incredibly strong-willed and he is trying to balance all of the demands of a single dad: living in the Japanese countryside, but working in Tokyo and trying to visit his sick wife when he's able.

The story is a beautiful portrait of sisterhood. Though the two protagonists seem to be separated by quite a few years, their bond is apparent. As they are trying to adjust to their new surroundings, we are invited into the childlike wonder that they embody and we're presented with the idea straight away that there's something magical about their new home. In one such scene the younger sister, Mei, is wandering through the wooded area behind the house while her sister is at school. She stumbles upon an opening next to a large tree and her curiosity leads her down a path where she first encounters Totoro.

Upon first introduction we're not sure whether the mysterious creature she dubs Totoro (a troll-like character from her storybook) is dangerous or a friendly, furry companion. To the audience's relief, he is the latter, and when she snuggles up onto his large belly for a nap and then wakes up alone some time later when her father and sister are looking for her, we aren't sure if Totoro was a figment of her wild imagination or a real entity.



The film continues to straddle the girls' imagination and reality when the older sister, Satsuki, also begins to see Totoro and they become more and more swept up in his magical abilities. There's one thing we know for sure - Totoro shows up when they need him most. Whether they're overcome with fear, trying to make sense of the world around them, or just needing a friend, Totoro is there. 




This film was a refreshing watch. The story is told at a leisure pace and I remember actually feeling lighter when I left the theater. It was an opportunity to suspend reality and just enjoy the magic of it all. The subtle comedy left me delighted by the end and even though there's nothing outright tragic in this story, the writers did an excellent job making things that were a big deal to young Satsuki and Mei, a big deal to us too. If you get a chance to watch this movie, just soak it up. 

Check out the Fathom Events website to see when the next Studio Ghibli movie is coming to a theater near you. You can find My Neighbor Totoro on DVD.com or for a very low price on Amazon. Unfortunately it can be hard to track down a copy, (a fact I am learning after writing this) but if you can borrow from a friend or spring the $10 to buy it, it is money well spent :)

No comments :

Post a Comment